Hello, architects, civil engineers, and others who have become experts in building a perfectly functional city. Of course, we’re talking about Cities: Skylines, a building simulation where players are offered countless opportunities to build city to their standards. This is not just a simple game where you need to line up buildings.
This is a game where you need to show enviable community management skills, take care of the employment of your citizens, be environmentally conscious and organize a financial budget so your city can function smoothly. In this article, we will talk about demand and how to increase demand in Cities: Skylines. So, keep reading.
Also Read: Why Do Citizens Get Sick in Cities: Skylines?
What is Demand in Cities: Skylines?
When we talk about demand in the Cities: Skylines game, we mean the building requests we get from the citizens of our city. Citizens can request three types of buildings: industrial, commercial, and residential buildings. For example, citizens can ask for more commercial buildings with commercial demand, and this includes low and high commercial density.
When they ask for residential buildings, it means they will have residential demand. This includes low-density residential and also high-density residential. Under the term “industrial demand,” citizens want more offices and industrial buildings. These demands come in three colors: blue for commercial buildings, green for residential buildings, and orange for industrial buildings. You can see these three demands on demand bars on the panel at the bottom of the screen.
When citizens ask for more industrial buildings, this surely means that the unemployment rate is high. Therefore, citizens are looking for new industrial buildings, which will mean creating new jobs and reducing the number of unemployed people.
You can see the unemployment rate in the Population panel. Employment can be improved by zoning out industry areas and also zoning offices. Keep in mind that offices cannot produce goods except for the IT sector. Furthermore, you can zone out commercial but still have the highest employment rate in the industrial or office zone.
Commercial demand is a combination of two things, the need for new jobs and the need for citizens to have a place to go in their free time (for example, a shopping center). You can also fulfill this demand by building a plaza or park. For 0 demand, there must be 1 commercial worker per 8 citizens. For more detailed information, check the Outside Connection panel, and you will see if your city is missing certain zones or there are too many of them.
Also Read: How to Deal With “Not Enough Buyers for Products” Problem in Cities: Skyline?
Ways to increase RCI demand in Cities: Skylines game
On game discussion boards and forums, players often seek advice on how to increase RCI demand in this game. They are confused when the RCI is at zero and want to find a way to change that. Luckily, many players have shared their practical tips in order to help their friends to solve this problem. Here are some tips you can apply to your game and improve its status.
- Watch out for the traffic. Your transport connectivity significantly affects citizens and their movements. You need to make sure that your city is well connected to roads and transport so that your citizens have a quality of life and satisfaction at the highest level. Also, you can check for the “Traffic Report Tool,” which is a mod for Cities: Skylines that can help you discover where your road is poorly made or incorrectly connected. Ensure that the industry zone is well connected to the residential zone so that workers can travel from work to home for a shorter time.
- Your buildings must be at the highest possible level, so make sure you check your industrial, residential, and commercial buildings from time to time to make sure they have a high level. This can also affect your citizens and their demands.
- Check all the information about your city in detail to make sure that your citizens have the best and highest quality service and that they lack nothing. Here, players often forget to check the satisfaction of their citizens, not knowing that this affects citizen demands as well. Make sure your city has all the necessary buildings. Make sure the industry zone is close to the residential zone so your citizens can travel from home to work with ease. If the industrial zone is too far away, then there will be no workers, and at the same time, workers will be out of work. Bad situation, isn’t it?
- Perhaps the clearest of all: make sure that your city has enough residential zones – the more residential zones it means that the population of your city will grow and with it will grow citizen demands for other services around the city.
- Also, look out for education levels. Unemployed citizens will accept a job that is in line with their abilities and level of education rather than jobs that exceed their education levels.
- Keep in mind those taxes. No citizen wants to pay too high taxes for life; if you want more citizen demands, try to reduce taxes for industry and watch as the quality of life of your citizen’s increases. It’s always about money.
Also Read: How to Make Money in Cities: Skylines?
Super Demand mod for Cities: Skylines
If you always want to have a lot of citizen demands, we recommend this mod, called Super demand, which will allow you to keep all demands high forever. If you are curious about what this mod can contribute to your city and its citizens, you can go to the Steam platform and find this mod for download and install it into your game.
We hope this article has explained to you what demand is in Cities: Skylines and how it works. Players often complain that they do not have enough or even no citizen demands and ask for advice on how to solve this issue. Well, if you have read this article, then you know that this is a piece of cake and that with a few firm decisions and maybe reducing those taxes finally, you can be overwhelmed again by citizen demands.
For those who don’t know, Cities: Skylines is a simulation game where you have to build a city that will work and have satisfied citizens who will never want to leave it. This game came out in 2015 but has recently become popular again. If you are curious about this game you can find it on the Steam platform. Also, in addition to the PC version, there are also versions for different consoles, so quickly go to Steam, install this game and start building your dream city.